Home

Friday, February 8, 2008

I'm so proud of myself!

I'm a very anal retentive person and, for the most part consider myself a pretty good cook - as long as I have a recipe. I enjoy following recipes when I cook. It's fun. The other day, however, I ventured out of my realm of comfort and made my first ever wing-it recipe. Good old fashion Chicken and Dumplings. It was amazing!!!

Here's what I did:

Approx. 6 cups of water
1 Can Cream of Celery Soup
2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup
"Enough" boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 an onion (average size)
About 2 stalks of celery
About 2 carrots
Chicken boullion
3 Cans of biscuits

Cube the chicken breasts and chop up the veggies. In a large pot, boil water and add chicken boullion to make chicken broth (as much as you like!). Then, add all three cans of soup. Cook chicken in some olive oil until almost done seasoning to taste, and add celery and onions. Cook until celery/onions/chicken are done. Add celery, onions, chicken, and carrots to the pot. Let it cook (add some salt and pepper if you like) for about 20 minutes or until you can't wait any longer and the carrots are getting soft. While that is going, about 15-20 minutes before you want to eat, prepare dumplings. Take two to three biscuits and "roll" them out on a cutting board with your hands. Using a pizza cutter cut them into strips. You have to do this fast because as they warm up they'll get soft, stick together, and start rising. Put the dumplings into the soup keeping them separated as possible and let cook until dumplings are done (however you like them!) about 15 minutes is what I do.

You're done! I know it's kind of hodge podge, but it turned out really good and Rob's obsessed. It makes quite a bit, but who doesn't like leftovers, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment