Home

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pull-Apart Cake - My favorite meal of the year


This is a recipe that I have enjoyed on Christmas morning every year growing up and continued with our family after we got married. It. Is. Amazing. Seriously.

Most of you will recognize it as "Monkey Bread," but I've yet to find a recipe that quite matches this one. 

Here goes!

20 Frozen Rhodes Rolls, cut in half

Be careful! This can be dangerous! I've found that it is helpful if you let them thaw for about 5-10 minutes, but don't let them thaw too much or they will get squishy and start to rise...

You'll need a greased bundt cake pan

1/2 Cup white sugar + 1T Cinnamon (to make cinnamon sugar), 3/4 cup butter (melted), 1/2 Cup brown sugar

Take each 1/2 roll and dip it in the melted butter

Roll it in the cinnamon sugar

And place "randomly" in the bundt cake pan.

 I tend to have a method to my randomness

Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar over the top of the rolls

Then comes the secret ingredient: Butterscotch pudding mix. Now, I know my picture shows instant. I bought the wrong kind. In the past, I've always used regular. I will say that the instant didn't ruin the recipe though.

Sprinkle the entire package of butterscotch pudding mix over the top

Mix the brown sugar with the remaining butter. Let me clarify this a bit. The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup butter. I've found that it's never enough to really mix with the brown sugar. So, next year (and what I listed earlier) I'm going to try upping it to a cup since I always end up needing to melt more. So, we'll call it 1 cup for the whole recipe.

Anyway, mix the brown sugar with the remaining butter.

Sprinkle/pour the butter/brown sugar mixture over the top and cover with greased cling wrap.

Let it sit overnight to rise, about 6-8 hours. If you get up in the middle of the night, you might check on it and if it's rising too much you can stick it in the fridge. Bake on 325 for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit for 10 minutes, then invert onto serving dish. Enjoy!!

Here's the recipe all in one place:

20 Frozen Rhodes Rolls (cut in half)
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
3/4 Cup Butter (melted)
1 pkg Butterscotch pudding
1/2 Cup firmly packed brown sugar

Grease bundt pan. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Dip frozen dough balls in butter and roll in sugar mixture. Place randomly in bundt pan. Sprinkle remaining sugar mixture over rolls. Sprinkle dry pudding over rolls. Stir brown sugar into remaining butter & drizzle over rolls. Cover with plastic wrap & let rise overnight to top of pan (about 6-8 hours). Bake at 325 for 35-45 minutes until golden brown. Let sit for 10 minutes, then invert onto serving dish. Glaze will be runny. 

1 comment:

  1. Dear GOD. I'm going to have to make this again soon. I'll call you guys over when I do!!

    ReplyDelete