Home

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wedded Wednesday - In Sickness and In Health



We all said it when we got married (well, almost all, but you know what I mean). When we got married, we vowed that we would stand by our husbands/wives no matter what. In moments of happiness and sadness, rich or poor, sick or healthy. I said the vows and I meant them. But, I have to admit I'm not very good at taking care of my sick husband.

What can I say? It really takes a lot for me to give sympathy. Blame it on teaching 12-15 year olds. "Oh, you forgot your homework? For the 3rd time this week? Wow, that stinks. And what would you like me to do about that?"

Well, Rob requires a lot of care when he's sick, which I don't think is uncommon among men. I try really hard to care for him and to be supportive and loving. But, I know I'm not very good at it. It's a weakness. He came home last night running a low-grade fever (not really breaking 100 much) and it's lingered for today and this evening. There's not much I can do for him, besides give him Tylenol and make sure he eats and drinks. So, I go about my business. But, I know there are things I can do better and I'm going to try harder. Because that's what being married is all about. Caring for one another and giving 100%, 100% of the time.

We'll see if I still have a bit of sympathy in  my heart...

4 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean! Guys really do take a TON of care when they are sick, and I don't know about your husband, but mine stinks at taking care of me.

    Still, it's a great goal to take those vows literally, and really make an effort when they're sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, mine is a big ol' baby when he's sick, too. But I make a game out of it & dote on him like crazy. My end goal is to make him sick of me doting on him. It hasn't happened yet--in fact, the more I dote, the more he eats it up. Men.. ;) It's a good thing he dotes on me when I'm sick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy are SUCH babies. I usually end up frustrated and feeling like a 24/7 care nurse when my husband is sick. I can definitely relate to this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that he's completely on the mend now! I am much the same way, thankfully Isaac has softened my heart a lot. Before him though, it'd be pretty rough to be sick around me . . .

    ReplyDelete