Home

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

12 Weeks to Better Photography - Week 4




I have to admit, I was kind of dreading this week. I don't like to use my flash. The following pictures prove it. I'm not very good at it. They always get blown out and never turn out the way I want. But, the good thing is, now I know why. This week's lesson talked about the basics of flash and how to use it appropriately. The challenge called for photographing a subject outdoors in the shade and in a bright sun which casts shadows on the subjects face. Ideally, my subject would have been human. Unfortunately, this wouldn't work for me since Rob doesn't get home until almost sundown. So, the boys had to play the role and getting them to stand still is akin to controlling the weather. So, here' goes nothing. Also, my best friend, Valerie (I've mentioned her before) introduced me to Picnik. Why I've been torturing myself with Photoshop, I have no idea, because this thing is AMAZING.

Image 1/2:
Aperture: f/1.8
Shutter Speed: Automatic
ISO: Automatic

These images was my attempt to show that even when your subject is in a well-lit environment (outside on a bright sunny day) shadows can often cause issues and mute color. With a well-used flash, you can eliminate this. My issue with these photos is that I was attempting to hold Dudley still which caused me to be too close and the flash to overexpose the photo. But, you can see that the shadows which were on his face are now gone and the color is MUCH better (well, sort of).

Image 3/4:
Aperture: f/1.8
Shutter Speed: Automatic
ISO: Automatic

These images were my attempt to show that again, even though the subject is shadowed entirely (especially when there is a backlight) you can use a flash to lighten the subject. Again, this is a very poor representation, but, I did my best!


I'll definitely be practicing this more when I have a more manageable subject.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, the pups don't like remain inthe same position! I had similar issues with using flash... I need more practice with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think that you'll have the same effect with a human subject? Wouldn't the amount of light be the same? Make sure to post your pics with humans if you get a different/same result :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think my results will be better with a human subject since I'll be better able to control the distance between the subject and the camera. I was a little restricted because I was trying to keep them still enough to get a picture (they were trying to run after our neighbors)so I had to be pretty close. We'll see though!

    ReplyDelete