Home

Friday, April 30, 2010

Tales from a Beginning Runner

The Couch to 5k is off to an interesting start. I did all of my runs on time during week one. They weren't too bad. Then when it came to start week two (taking it up a notch) I woke up sick. I've been battling allergies for pretty much the first time in my life. It sucks. But, I'm back on track and have one more run at my week 2 level (run 90 sec/walk 2 min).

This is where I'm going to be honest. I don't like it. That's not surprising. I've never liked running. I'm not good at it. Why would you run for fun? But, I'm determined to lose 10 pounds and this is one way to do it. Also, I hear once you get past the initial awful-ness you grow to love it. I really want to love it. I really want to love exercise. Not loathe it.

So, here's how I'm summing up the first two weeks. Week one, not too bad. Hey, I think I can do this. Week two... eh... maybe not. My feet hurt so bad (plantar fasciitis). My knees hurt. My body hates me. On the bright side, I still LOVE this bra (you can buy one here) that I bought a while back. It's A-MA-ZING. I think I may have to fork out the money for another.

By the way, does anyone have tips for running? Is there a correct way to run? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is there some trick to make it easier?

Looking toward week 3 and I want to cry...
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
  • Jog 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Walk 200 yards (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 400 yards (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 400 yards (or three minutes)


Wish me luck!



3 comments:

  1. I hate running too! I have bad knees to start with and running is not good to your body!! I hate the elliptical machine slightly less so that's my thing. I hope your running gets better for you. =-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably need to get that bra. I always wear 2! When you run, try to do heal to toe. Are you using a podcast that tells you when to run and when to walk. I would have been lost without those. Keep up the good work. Couch to 5K is definitely hard but it is such a great foundation for running. You will feel that "love" after you do run for 10 minutes without stopping. You are going to feel so accomplished. That is what I loved with the program, each week was a new accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, I don't know what I'd do without that bra! I'm a 32DDD or F and I need to keep those girls in check! It's amazing, you must get one. I don't have an ipod, so I just use the stopwatch on my phone. Not very efficient, but it works. I've used you as inspiration because I know you were in my place not too long ago!

    ReplyDelete