Home

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Couch to 5K

I wrote a while back about working on getting rid of the newlywed 9 (more like 10) that I've put on since Rob and I got married. Well, it's not going too well. I've definitely maintained, which means I haven't gained any more. But, I'm still not where I want to be.

Overall, we've been trying to make some major changes in our lifestyles. Mainly with eating habits. We've done a LOT more cooking at home and using fresh products instead of processed foods. We bought a 1/4 cow which we've been eating regularly as well as some chicken and fish. We also have a juicer now, which I LOVE and have been trying to use more fresh produce. It's fun! I've actually enjoyed it. The worst part is figuring out what to make, not how to make it. I'm not a bad cook by any means, we can just never decide what to eat. I'd like to work on meal planning a little more.

Our next goal is to start exercising a little more. We joined a gym and haven't been very diligent. I know it's just an excuse, but Rob's business had a lot to do with it. Leaving the dogs for long periods of time and being at Best Buy for ridiculous amounts during the past 10 weeks hasn't been conducive to our exercise regimen. But, we're back at it today. Which brings me to the couch to 5K.

I'm NOT a runner. I HATE running. I HATE exercising. I HATE going to the gym. I'm a big lazy bum and I enjoy reading and lounging around. I love how I feel after I exercise, but somehow that doesn't make me want to do it anymore. But, I need to be done with excuses. I need to stop being a baby and get to it. So, I'm going to attempt the couch to 5k.

Will I be successful? I hope so. I hope to keep you posted. So, readers, here's my challenge to you. HOUND ME. Someone has to keep me accountable and from experience, Rob isn't very good at it (sorry, babe). So, keep me motivated! Get me going!

Here's the rundown (no pun intended). I'm going to try and figure out how to post a google calendar to this blog to say what I'll be doing every day.

Today: Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.


In 9 weeks, I should be able to run a 5k. That's ALMOST in time for the Komen Race for the Cure. I'd LOVE to run it. 


Here goes nothing. 

2 comments:

  1. YAY Stephanie! I am so excited for you. I was in the same position you were about 7 months ago. I know you read my blog but you can go and read my weekly C25K posts if you want. The training is awesome and you will definitely be able to run a 5K in 9 weeks. I was definitely nervous and skeptical about it at first too, but I promise you...you will be a runner! I feel like I am living proof because I HATED running and I just finished my first 10K! I am going to start training for the half too! My mom is a breast cancer survivor and we have walked in EVERY Komen Race since it has been in St. Louis. I was so excited to finally be able to run one but we are going to be in Italy. I'm glad you can run it for me. Can't wait to hear about your journey. Don't give up! There are some hard weeks! Just be confident with the program and know that it REALLY is mind over matter (I never believed those people that said it is all mental but it really is!). Sorry about the novel! GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete