Home

Sunday, January 2, 2011

4 Weeks

I wrote this post right after we found out we were pregnant. I have a one for week 5 and 6 and I'm going to make one big post for the weeks between then and now. Enjoy!

Wow. Just wow. That's all I can really say. I'm PREGNANT!! I'm approximately 4 weeks 3 days. It's still very early, but I want to get an early start on my weekly posts. I apologize if this is going to turn into "just another pregnancy blog," but after spending so much time (and money!) to finally get to this point, I'm going to bask in the glory of it!


So, here we go!!

I guess I'll start with exactly how we got here. You can read the entirety of my infertility journey here. But, I'll go ahead and chronicle the cycle that finally did the trick. It started just like every other cycle (I'll spare you the details). I went ahead and gave my RE (who's awesome BTW) a call to let him know where we were at and to see what the plan was for this cycle. Since in my previous cycle I hadn't responded to the 150mg of Clomid, he said we were going to up it one more time to 250 mg and an IUI (intrauterine insemination) before moving on to another plan of action.  I set out with (kind of) high hopes and the positive outlook my RE always seemed to be able to give me. The Clomid was fine, just like every other cycle - no symptoms - until the last day. Then I started getting "tracers" in my vision and knew for sure this would be my last cycle on Clomid. Luckily I finished the medication for the cycle and we continued on our merry way. My window for ovulation came and went with no signs of success - another failed cycle. I called my RE to let him know and he asked me to come in for an ultrasound. They found one large follicle on my right ovary that my body didn't want to release. So, he prescribed me Ovidrel (a shot of HCG to trigger ovulation) and we scheduled the IUI for two days later. The IUI also came and went and we began the wait. THE LONGEST TWO WEEKS EVER.

Finally, I caved. I wasn't supposed to test until Wednesday. But, it was Monday morning and my temperature was still high. In fact, it shifted upward again. I couldn't wait any longer. So, I tested. And, lo and behold, the test said "Pregnant." See?



My first positive pregnancy test. I was shaking. I didn't know what to do with myself. I took a couple of laps around the house and tried to wrap my head around it. Then, I had to tell Rob. I already had it all planned out. I had made t-shirts for our puppies and they said, "Future Big Brother" and "Future Bigger Brother" on them. So, I put my plan in place. Rob's reaction was priceless. I'll never forget it.

This was one of the happiest days of my life. I can only imagine what it will be like when we finally get to meet our little one.

As far as pregnancy goes, so far I haven't felt much different. I'm a little more tired than usual and have been having some back pain. I'd say my most unexpected symptom has been heart palpitations, but they aren't bad at all. I'll admit, I'm a little worried about morning sickness. But, I'll take it!

And, for good measure, here's my first belly picture:

4 weeks

(I don't know why this picture looks so crappy and ignore the ridiculous look on my face. It was early...)

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you, Stephanie. You have so much to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, we need pictures of the boys in their respective shirts. Clarify if the shirts are big and bigger in reference to age or size :-). How did you manage to get the boys out of bed that early? I'm sure they both were giving you the evil eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom still has Henry's announcement tee shirt hanging up at her house! So fun. Congrats again, girl.

    Also, ps: there is NOTHING wrong with being 'just another pregnancy blog'. There are so many of them b/c it's amazing and deserves a blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally!! I'm so glad you are sharing. You deserve to bask in it all you want and then some. Enjoy every minute, even those that won't be so enjoyable. It will be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete