Home

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Deer in the Headlights

That pretty much describes me right now. Complete and utter shock induced by my recent acquisition of a job. A job! I got a job! I will be working for a private school teaching 6-9 grade science. Yes, science. I realize that I'll be a certified MATH teacher, but the opportunity was too good to pass up.

For the past month or so I've been having some serious doubts about my career as a teacher. What was I thinking? Why on earth would I want to be a teacher. The amount of work involved is not for the faint of heart and after being denied a couple of times, I was beginning to think God had other plans for me. Right-O.

I applied at this school after a friend from church told me they were hiring middle school teachers. The day after I turned in my application they called for an interview. The interview went great, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I'd already been denied jobs which I thought the interview was well for. The same day, they called and offered me the position.

I'm stoked. I'm a freaked. I'm pretty much trying to keep myself from hyperventilating. I'm extremely nervous already. I should probably bring a brown paper bag with me to school the first day. It won't be pretty.

The science thing is okay with me. I know it's not what I originally set out to do, but I'm at peace about the job (well, aside from being so nervous I could puke).

Plus, they are taking me to Florida for a teacher training seminar. I'll get to see the ocean for the first time. But, that's a whole other story.

For those readers who are teachers, I could really use some advice. I don't even know where to begin to set up my classroom and start prepping. I'm anxious to get a hold of the curriculum, but what else is there? I need someone to calm me down.

Yay for a job and yay for Florida!!!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!!!! That's so exciting.
    And you've never seen the OCEAN! You're gonna love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Stephanie!! So very exciting. I know you'll be an awesome teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Congrats...so so exciting!!! You are going to do great! I am certified 1-5 so I don't know anything about the grade level you are going to teach. I would get your hands on curriculum as soon as you can! Then, head into your class and figure out your set up. Will the kids sit at tables or desks? Do you have technology in the classroom? Will students sit individually or in pods? Then, the fun part. Head over to Bradburns teacher store (most of the stuff if for younger kids) and buy them out of science posters. I know that I have one with the Scientific Method and I got it there. So so excited for you. Just relax and breathe...you still have plenty of time before you start. My first year, I was hired 3 days before school started!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started following but CONGRATS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the job! That is awesome.

    I'm going through the same thing right now with my husband. . .he is SERIOUSLY discouraged right now (High School History), because he can't find a job! Last night was NOT pretty, as it is all finally catching up with him. The poor guy, I feel SO terrible for him!! :(

    I'm glad that you were able to get a job. Teaching jobs are hard to come about right now!

    ReplyDelete